All Band Vertical (ABV) 9-bands (80m through 6m). This is EXACTLY the same kit as the Premium DX Commander All-Band-Vertical but with 150m of military DX10 antenna comms wire. Almost the same product, just 50m more for your 80m element and a longer radial if required
NOTE: Now shipping with the new flexible DX10 antenna wire, made for DX Commander in the UK to a military specification.
NEW: Now with UHMWPE waterjet cut plates for QRO operation. Tested to CW / RTTY – including new Aluminium 1050 spec ground and driven plates.
- ALE Communications*
- SSB, CW, JT65 / JT8 & other Digital inc ALE
- DXpedition use
- Single-antenna Contests
- Survival and Preparedness use
- SOTA operators
- Portable or Holiday use
- Permanent fixture in back yard
NOTE: What is ALE?: Automatic link establishment (ALE) Compliant. Very cool.
All new plastic UHMWPE plates have new hole pattern for either 3, 4 or 6 equi-distance spaced elements.
Designed to work *without* any outboard ATU on 9-bands: 80m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 10m and 6m bands. Minor SWR adjustment possibly required on 30m and 17m bands. Your radio’s ATU function will easily cope with an extremely slight mis-match) All other bands better than 1.5:1 SWR.
This is a fast-deploy multi-band antenna utilising multiple quarter-waves on every band. 80m band is designed as an inverted L with a 19.5m long element which is near resonant on 30m band.
But you have a choice: You can either build your DX Commander ABV/ALE with the inverted L for 80m (and use 30m with an ATU), *or* dispense completely with the 80m element and build only for the 40m and upwards and incorporate the 30m element. If using the 80m element, you may find that 17m band can “drift” in tuning slightly but still under 2:1 SWR.
Works great on 80m though, so I recommend making this a 9-band antenna. If you make the 80m element slightly longer, say down at 3.60MHz (I cut mine at around 3.75MHz), you will find that 30m will come in to near-resonance and will give you a great far-field pattern too.
One user has dispensed with both the 80m & 30m element options and instead, fitted a 5Mhz (60m band) element as inverted L instead. Food for thought.
All parts included and full instruction manual supplied.
- DX Commander Pole
- Upgraded 120mm Radial Ground Plate with SO239 and fly-lead
- Upgraded 150mm Radiating plate
- All stainless 6mm bolts and wing, nuts & washers
- Insulated thick Nylon Guy plate with paracord for guying
- Mid Spreader to keep your wires straight. Connect your 10m and 12m antennas here.
- Insulated heavy thick Nylon Upper Spreader plate
- New “Double-Eye” for holding your 80m inverted L in place and guiding your 40m element through.
- UV stable cord and shock cord for element tension
- UV stable insulated mini carabiners for connecting elements to the tension shock cord
- Stainless Hose-clips with rubber tubing stay-up kit for extra long-life vertical stability
- Glue-Lined heat-shrink to create loops at the top of each element for tension purposes
- 100m (320 feet) of complimentary antenna wire FOC with every order*
Check out the User Guide.
Cut your element sizing as per user guide found at:
Convert the remainder of the wire into radials. But make your elements FIRST! There is enough to make 20 x 3.5m radials. And you don’t need a complete circle of radials, you can place them in a 180 degree arc (for instance). Add more wire to increase efficiency slightly, although see my paper to improve your sanity:
The DX Commander vertical system is based on the same technique as a fan dipole. Effectively it has a number of elements presenting themselves to your load and they self-select to achieve efficient quarter-wave performance on all bands, according to which quarter-wave elements are installed.
The 15m band is catered for by means of automatically resonating the 40m antenna and uses what we have called a “boomerang” foldback match to achieve a pseudo 5/8ths for 15m band. No tuner is required and the far field patterns are excellent for DX.
The only thing you’ll need to supply yourself are some heavy-duty guy stakes.
Note: Classic 10m DXC Poles may be supplier with a White printed band and printed Logo or a Gold printed band. This is just a little detail and kind-of just looks nice! They are both the SAME pole from the same factory. I was only worried about supply chain problems, so I air-freighted 100 poles in February. It so happens the factory used my original Mk1 Gold printing.