Frying antenna wire with QRO

RF Weld - Click to zoom

RF Weld – Click to zoom

In the process of testing out my 80m coil this morning to load up my 40m vertical, I pushed 400w AM up the antenna and the ACOM went into alarm, telling me the SWR had gone too high.

Upon investigation, I noticed that just at the top of the coil, as the D10 comms wire kinked around some insulation tape and started its travels vertically, the wire had welded apart.

I made a repair using extra heavy gauge copper to take the high high current and all seems well again.

I don’t know what to learn about this other than perhaps use a heavier gauge wire.